Camp Invention: STEM Camp
CAMP INVENTION: FAST FORWARD
(August 13 - 17, 2018)
Camp Invention for Grades 1-6 is a week-long enrichment program designed to build Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) skills through a week of high-energy challenges, building and design opportunities, and concept exploration in four different modules. The program is different every year, so join us on another exciting adventure!
This year’s program is Fast Forward!
Let’s invent the future today! Fast Forward to Camp Invention’s new 2018 program where campers will explore with fun, hands-on activities that encourage creative problem solving, teamwork, entrepreneurship and curiosity. At the end of the program, each camper will bring home two personalized robots!
Campers will invent something new every day as they explore what it is like to be a physicist, engineer and entrepreneur. Daily challenges inspire campers to bring their own ideas to the table, think big, persevere and get to the heart of what it means to be an inventor. Your young innovator will invent, make and craft solutions to real-world challenges by building their own prototypes and discovering that anything is possible!
- Make their own dancing dinosaur using a mechanical gear box in the “Dance to Your Own Beat” challenge
- Create a robotic arm to retrieve silver coins in the “Silver lining” challenge
- Build a plush cupcake catapult in the “It Will Be a Piece of Cake” challenge
- Explore chemistry, non-Newtonian fluids and magnetism as they investigate magnetic slime
Campers will dream up and design their very own futuristic smart home filled with gadgets, LEDs, technology and innovation! From talking mirrors to toasters that know how to cook their favorite foods, your child will invent and build models of these smart gadgets and gizmos.
- Make their own take-home mini mansions
- Discover the Internet of Things and how smart devices are connected and controlled
- Explore renewable sources to power up their eco-smart mini mansions
- Change letters into numbers using binary code to create a message
Animal shelters are reporting that malfunctioning robotic dogs have been popping up all over town. Hurry and tell your young inventor to grab their vet kit because there’s only one cure for these pups—innovation! Throughout this module, campers diagnose puppy problems and design and build dog parks as they hammer out ideas for the best dog park attraction.
- Use tools to take apart robotic dogs and compare their inner mechanics to the anatomy and physiology of a real dog
- Explore spatial reasoning and design engineering as they construct a dog park
- Analyze simple machines and circuits used to make the dog move, bark and light up
- Customize their own robotic dog to take home
Campers will launch into the future with their own Optibot—a small self-driving bot that senses changes in light. Exploring the technology behind transportation, children will design the ultimate futuristic vehicle that might one day be reality!