Summer Camp Counselor Jobs
Staff members are carefully chosen and trained professional educators, childcare specialists, and energetic college students who share a genuine love for teaching and working with children.
Check out the FAQ below and contact Caitlin Webster for more information about working at Summer Horizons Camp 2019.
- What are the general staff duties at SHC?
- Join Our Team!
- Do you require a background check or fingerprinting?
- Are there positions for high schoolers or middle schoolers at SHC?
- How to Apply
All staff are responsible for the general health and welfare of our campers, and assist in the care of resources and equipment. In a classroom setting, teachers and counselors lead and supervise all activities, clean up, snacks, and meals. Counselors may also work in their specialty area, whether teaching or support staff duties. Staff help run special events as needed, and may be assigned to leave camp on trips to the pool or for Friday field trips to provide supervision. For detailed descriptions of duties, please contact Caitlin Webster.
Our staff values:
1) Campers First. The safety, enrichment, and enjoyment of our campers is our highest priority and steers every decision we make.
2) All Crew. No Passengers. We all do what it takes to get the job done—no matter how big or how small the task. We are helpful, enthusiastic, and professional.
3) See the Best in Each Other. We treat each other with care and respect. This empowers us to be better team players, to create a friendly atmosphere, to have fun, and to accomplish big things for our campers.
4) Celebrate Youth. We preserve the decade of childhood and look to celebrate and promote growth within those years. We encourage curiosity, exploration, and fearless joy. We build self-esteem and confidence.
- Applicants for employment should fill out the online Employee Application.
- Follow-up interviews will be held in person. Attach any additional materials or certificates that you wish to the application (copies, not originals).
- Summer Horizons day camp operates for eight weeks starting June 17 and ending August 9. Specialty camps running August 12-16 have limited employment opportunities as well. Applicants must be able to commit to at least 4 consecutive weeks to be considered for employment.
- After your interview, we may contact you with an initial offer and information on how to complete the background check process. After completion of this process, and pending acceptance of employment, you will receive a formal agreement of employment.
- Employees MUST be able to attend mandatory orientation meetings over the course of June 12-16.
- Applicants should be 18 years of age by June 12, 2019 to receive compensation.
- Daily hours for most positions are 8:15 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Yes. For the safety of our campers and employees, SHC maintains background information for all employees as a condition of all current and future employment. This background information may include state and local criminal background searches, federal FBI fingerprinting reports, DC Police Clearance, Child Protection Register, and multi-state sex offender registry searches. There is no charge to the applicant/employee for these checks. For the purpose of obtaining the necessary background information, all applicants must sign a release form authorizing NPS to request the appropriate background checks and fingerprint reports.
All staff members at Summer Horizons Camp must have graduated high school and be 18 years of age or older.
High school students entering 11th or 12th grade are eligible to apply for our Junior Counselor volunteer program. Application and information found below.
Campers entering grades 7-10 may attend the Counselor in Training program, our teen leadership program for older students with a passion for service, camp, or education. Registration for this program must be completed online by a parent or guardian. Click here to register.
Junior Counselor Program Assignment Process
The qualities of a successful Junior Counselor include good character, integrity, and adaptability. To apply for this program, interested parties must submit the Junior Counselor application and agreement form found in our Staff Portal beginning on January 10, 2019. A limited number of volunteers will be selected to participate. Those selected will be expected to join our staff at orientation. Preference will be given to applicants who have previously completed the Counselor in Training program at Summer Horizons Camp. Once assignments have been made, Junior Counselors will be expected to arrive to camp on the agreed-upon dates and times. The Junior Counselor Application will be available on January 10, 2019.